A Samsung Galaxy Note 2 smartphone caught fire inside an IndiGo aircraft while it was landing in Chennai on Friday morning. The aircraft was coming from Singapore. The aircraft made a normal landing and all passengers were deplaned as per normal procedure.
“While landing at the Chennai airport at 7.45 a.m., the cabin crew detected smoke from the handset kept in the overhead bin,” said Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) official.
Earlier this month, DGCA has also advised the airline to make an announcement on every flight asking passengers to switch off their Samsung Notes on flights.
“IndiGo confirms that a few passengers travelling on 6E-054 from Singapore to Chennai noticed the smoke smell in the cabin this morning and immediately alerted the cabin crew on board,” the airline said in a statement.
In a another statement, the airline said they are ‘thankful to its passengers for their vigilance and cooperation’ extended to the crew.
The world’s largest maker of mobile phones recalled 2.5-million units of its top-of-the-range model, Note 7 after its batteries began catching fire while charging.
this phone was not the same model as that involved in the recall. There have been no previous reports of similar problems with the Note 2 model, first released in 2012.