Here are 25 interesting facts to share with family, friends and visitors about China.
1) China is commonly known as the People’s Republic of China.
2) China is the world’s most populous country, with over 1.38 billion people, and the third-largest country by land area at 9,706,961 sq km (3,747,879 sq miles).
3) One in every five people in the world is Chinese.
4) In China over 30 million people live in caves.
5) China uses 45 billion chopsticks per year.
6) China is the world’s largest exporter and second-largest importer of goods.
7) China has the second largest economy in the world, right after the USA.
8) Table tennis is China’s national sport.
9) Half of all the world’s pigs live in China.
10) The Great Wall of China is the largest man-made structure in the world, extending 8,850 km (5,500 miles). Over 10 million people visit the Great Wall of China every year.
11) There are currently 32 million more males than females in China.
12) The groundwater of 90% of Chinese cities is polluted.
13) In China, every year is represented by one of 12 animals.
14) China is the world’s largest consumer of red wine.
15) Most of the tallest buildings in the world are in China.
16) Chinese brides often wear red, Red is considered a lucky color in China.
17) In 2003, China became the third country to successfully send a person to space.
18) Put together, all of China’s railways lines could loop around earth twice.
19) China hosted the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Beijing.
20) In China, 47% of the population live in urban areas.
21) Ketchup is actually a Chinese invention.
22) The longest traffic jam in history, which lasted 12 days over 62 miles was in Shanghai.
23) There are many different languages spoken in China, including Mandarin, Yue, Wu, Minbei, Minnan, Xiang, Gan and Hakka.
24) The capital city of China is Beijing, while Shanghai is the most populated city. Other major cities are Chongqing, Guangzhou, and Shenzhen.
25) Stamp collecting is the number one hobby in China.